Tuesday, February 8, 2011

More Than One

In the past, I was a singularly focused reader. These days, there are so many books I want to read that I can't just limit myself to one.

A couple of days ago, I download Volumes 1 and 2 of Barnes and Noble's 50 Classic Books.  So 100 books for 6 bucks.  I started reading Emma by Jane Austen right away.  My first time reading the book and although I know the story from watching movies where Kate Beckinsale and Gwyneth Paltrow play Emma, that did not detract from the book.  In fact, I was eagerly awaiting to read the carriage scene where Mr. Elton professes his love for Emma, to her deep chagrin. It was a "laugh out loud" moment.

I am also reading the third book of Tana French's Dublin Murder Squad series.  A well written "who-dun-it", page turning story.

I am also listening to The Art of Reading while driving in the car.  I ordered this course from The Great Courses web site.  On sale from $180 to $50.  I work from home so my listening tends to be while on errands.  The next few weeks, I will be spending a lot more time in the car going to visit clients so am looking forward to longer stretches of soaking in Professor Spurgin's knowledge.  His lectures are interesting and thought-provoking.  I have found listening to this as well as reading books like Lessons From a Lifetime of Writing have enhanced my own reading pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment