Monday, March 12, 2012

The Classics Club Book List - March 12, 2012 - March 12, 2017

I was excited to see  the unveiling of The Classics Club hosted Jillian at A Room of One's Own but wasn't sure I could manage it with my other challenges.  Problem solved - I have decided to roll up three current challenges Great Authors, English Novel and Shakespeare into one - a perfect solution!

UPDATE - the club has grown so much it now has its own blog.

I will give myself the maximum time (5 years) to read the list below.

I don't plan to give myself prizes for certain milestones, rather my rewards will come when I read a reference to a book like War and Peace (which I haven't read yet but seems like everyone else has) and I can say to myself, Yes, I've read that too. 

The number in parenthesis is the rating given to the book.  I use the Goodreads system. 

1 - didn't like it
2 - it was ok
3 - liked it
4 - really liked it
5 - it was amazing

Bibliography from the audio course: Great Authors of the Western Literary Tradition by various professors.  Note:  I will be adding to this list as I slowly listen to all seven parts.
  • Aeschylus I and II: The Complete Greek Tragedies
  •  by Aeschylus ed by David Grene and Richmond Lattimore.
  • Euripides I - V: The Complete Greek Tragedies by Euripides ed David Grene and Richmond Lattimore.
  • The Epic of Gilgamesh translated by Andrew George.
  • The Iliad by Homer translated by Richmond Lattimore - read March 2012 (5).  See post on Josh's blog.
  • The Odyssey by Homer translated by Richmond Lattimore - read April 2012 (5)
  • Greek Lyric: An Anthology in Translation by Andrew W. Miller.  Includes works by Alcaeus, Archilochus, Anacreon, Sappho and Pindar.  Prof. V says this is "readable and accurate". 
  • The Complete Plays of Sophocles translated by Sir Richard Claverhouse Jebb. 
  1. Ajax - read Feb 2012 (4)
  2. Electra - read March 2012 (4) 
  3. Oedipus the King - read July 2012 (4)
  4. Antigone - read July 2012  (4)
  5. Trachinian Women
  6. Philoctetes
  7. Oedipus at Colonus.
  • The Aeneid by Virgil translated by Robert Fitzgerald (1984) - read July 2012
  • Metamorphoses by Ovid translated by Charles Martin (1999)
  • The Golden Ass by Apuleius translated by P.G Walsh (1999)
  • Confessions by Augustine translated by R.S. Pine-Coffin (1961)
Bibliography from the audio course: The English Novel by Professor Tim Spurgin
  1. Love in Excess by Eliza Haywood
  2. Clarissa by Samuel Richardson (divided into 9 ibook volumes)  Vol 1, Vol 2, Vol 3,  
  3. Tom Jones by Henry Fielding
  4. Tristam Shandy by Laurence Sterne
  5. Evelina by Frances Burney
  6. The Mysteries of Udolpho by Ann Radcliffe
  7. Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen - already read
  8. Emma by Jane Austen - already read
  9. Waverley by Sir Walter Scott
  10. Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper 
  11. The Pickwick Papers by Charles Dickens
  12. Lost Illusions by Honore de Balzac 
  13. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte 
  14. Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte
  15. Vanity Fair by William Makepeace Thackeray
  16. David Copperfield by Charles Dickens
  17. Moby Dick by Herman Melville 
  18. Bleak House by Charles Dickens
  19. Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert 
  20. Mill on the Floss by George Eliot
  21. Great Expectations by Charles Dickens
  22. War and Peace by Leo Tolstoy
  23. Middlemarch by George Eliot
  24. Anna Karenina by Leo Tolstoy 
  25. The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoevsky
  26. The Portrait of a Lady by Henry James
  27. "The Art of Fiction" by Henry James 
  28. Germinal by Emile Zola
  29. Tess of the D'Ubervilles by Thomas Hardy
  30. "Candor In English Fiction" by Thomas Hardy
  31. Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad
  32. The Ambassadors by Henry James
  33. Howard's End by E.M. Forster
  34. Remembrance of Things Past by Marcel Proust
  35. Dubliners by James Joyce
  36. The Good Soldier by Ford Maddox Ford
  37. The Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man by James Joyce
  38. Women in Love by D.H. Lawrence
  39. Ulysses by James Joyce
  40. A Passage to India by E.M. Forster
  41. The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  42. To The Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf
  43. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
  44. Finnegans Wake by James Joyce
Shakespeare Challenge
  1. Henry V
  2. Antony and Cleopatra - read August 2012 (4)
  3. Richard III
  4. King Lear
  5. Othello - read in July 2012 (4)
  6. Hamlet - read March 2012 (5).  See two posts on Josh's blog:  Death, Grief and Suicide in Hamlet Part I and Part II
  7. Julius Caesar - read August 2012 (4)
Other classics:
  1. Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen - read May 2012 (5)
  2. Oroonoko by Aphra Behn - read June 2012 (5)
  3. Mansfield Park by Jane Austen - read June 2012 (5)
  4. A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway - read July 2012 (4)
  5. A Room of One's Own by Virginia Woolf - read May 2012 (4) 
  6. On the Road by Jack Kerouac - read August 2012 (3) 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you decided to join us! So many great titles in your list. I've just finished Woolf's Mrs. Dalloway and found it really approachable and so pretty. You said you're most intimidated by the modernists, but (so far) I really like them. Joyce though? I admit I'm afraid. Have fun with this! :D

    - jill

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you find Joyce intimidating (Ulysses intimidates me), try Dubliners. I've read a couple of the stories and loved them--very accessible. I've got the collection on my list.

      Delete