Saturday, October 1, 2011

22 Books for $18.50

Today's cold and rainy weather deterred the usual droves of casual book buyers at a local library's every-other-month book sale.  Those who braved the elements were serious bibliophiles, eager to add to their home library without breaking the bank.  Armed with my wish and TBR list, I scoured the boxes of books on and underneath long tables, wondering what treasures I would find. I love these book sales.

The atmosphere was cordial, complete with whispered "excuse me" or "pardon me" as we tried to navigate around one another.  As time went on, it became more difficult due to our growing piles of books.  Twenty-two books may seem like a lot, but many bought far more.  Some, like me, put our finds in a bag which was either slung over the shoulder or carried on the forearm, a test of bicep strength.  Others placed their books in boxes which quickly grew too heavy to carry and had to be shuffled on the floor.

When books are this inexpensive, there is no hesitation to place in the bag.  The only pang of regret comes when I see one that was bought at full cost.  It only lasts a millisecond as I happily think of all my current finds.  Oh well, can't win them all.

Upon coming home, I organize them by genre and record them in my book journal.  Then I open each book and write the following: 10/1/2011 - brought at Tyson's library book sale.  I like knowing when and where I bought my books.  Some have their previous owner's name.  If these books could talk, I wonder what they would say.  Here is the list:  


Anthology
  • Norton Anthology of American Literature (2nd ed) 
  • Norton Anthology of English Literature Vol II  (5th ed) - compliments Volume 1, which I bought at a previous sale in April. 
Literature and Writing
  • Barnet, Burto and Cain - Literature for Composition
  • Boynton, Mack - Introduction to the Short Story
  • Thornley, Wilson - Short Story Writing
Non Fiction
  • Beard, James - Fish Cooking.  I recently read Julia Child's book, My Life In France, in which she speaks of her friendship with Jim Beard, celebrity cook who helped promote her book, Mastering the Art of French Cooking.  This is an example of how one book begets another, as I would have never noticed this book or author.
  • Kubler-Ross, Elizabeth - On Death and Dying.  This landmark book solidified the 5 stages of death: denial, anger, bargaining, depression and acceptance.  Later, the application was broadened to grief. 
  • Pennebaker, James - Opening Up: The Healing Power of Expressing Emotion
Memoir
  • Manning, Martha - Undercurrents: A Life Under the Surface
Classics
  • Defoe, Daniel - Robinson Crusoe
  • Homer - The Odyssey
  • Lawrence, D.H. - Women in Love (didn't realize I already had this book)
  • Lawrence, D.H - Lady Chatterly's Lover
Fiction
  • Cather, Willa - O Pioneers!
  • Ishiguro, Kazuo - The Remains of the Day
  • Jong, Erica - Fear of Flying
  • Kinsella, Sophie - The Undomestic Goddess.  Her books are like "brain candy" - fun, easy reads.
  • Lahiri Jhumpa - Interpreter of Maladies.  I bought this because of the Pulitzer Prize sticker on the front.  Goodread reviews are very positive. 
  • Lahiri Jhumpa - The Namesake
  • Millhauser, Steven - Martin Dressler.  Another Pulitzer Prize winner, but unfortunately, has mixed Goodreads reviews.
  • Shaffer, Mary Anne and Annie Barrows - The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society.  I LOVE this book.  I read it on my Nook and now, my daughter wants to read it but it is not a "lend me" e-book.  So I bought it.  I can't wait for her to read it so we can talk about it. 
  • Wells, H. G - Four Novels:  The Time Machine, The Island of Dr. Moreau, The Invisible Man and The War of the Worlds. 

No comments:

Post a Comment