Sunday, January 30, 2011

"the book shop" by Penelope Fitzgerald

Published: 1997 in US
Read: 2011
Genre: fiction
Setting: small English town in 1959
Rating: 2
Review: A Work in Progress, Dovegreyreader, Stuck In A Book









This book was reviewed by several book bloggers recently.  The reviews made the book sound interesting so when I found it at the library, I brought it home.  Being a short book, I read it in one night. And apart from some good quotes, I am sorry to say that I did not see the point.  My preference is for happier endings or if not happy, at least tidier.  My expectations were probably too high, which didn't help.

Quotes:

So true!
"But courage and endurance are useless if they are never tested"

Profound:
"She did not know that morality is seldom a safe guide for human conduct"

I love this sentence:
"The hall, boarded with polished elm, breathed the deep warmth of a house that has never been cold."

Great bookish quote:
"A good book is the precious life-blood of a master spirit, embalmed and treasured up on purpose to a life beyond life."

Funny:
"You're either a child or a woman, and neither of them have any idea how to relax."

Takeaways:
 - start a favorite bookish and writing quote on the blog
- research independent booksellers in the DC area

No comments:

Post a Comment